I didn’t even realize it, but I’ve been on a total vegan kick lately. I’ve still been devouring these curried quinoa wraps for lunch everyday, going on two weeks now. I don’t want them to ever end! And here I am bringing you another Asian-style stir-dry, also vegan! I’ve been a big fan of spicy peanut sauce ever since I discovered how easy it is to make at home! I think this one is still my favorite, but the one below was quite tasty as well. Enjoy!
Tofu, Broccoli & Pineapple Rice Bowl with Spicy Peanut Sauce
From Vanilla & Spice
7 oz firm tofu
1/2 cup dry brown rice
1 tsp sesame oil
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup pineapple chunks
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp cashews, crushed
Green onions, to garnish
Pineapple Peanut Sauce
1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
1 tsp sriracha
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
pinch of salt
1. Using your hands, press the tofu with paper towels to remove excess water. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu pieces and sauté, turning occasionally, for 7-8 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
2. Cook the rice according to package directions. When it is done, transfer to a bowl.
Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by adding all ingredients to a blender and pureeing until smooth.
3. Keep the pan heated and add the broccoli, pineapple, and water to the pan. Cover with a lid and let steam for about 2 minutes, shaking the pan a couple of times to toss the broccoli around.
4. Remove lid and reduce heat to low. Add the tofu to the pan and pour about half of the sauce over everything. Stir to mix and let cook for 1-2 minutes, until heated through.
5. Pour the contents of the pan over the rice. Top with the cashews and green onions.
Heat the remaining sauce for about 10 seconds in the microwave. Serve sauce on the side and stir in extra to the bowl.
Makes 2 large servings