Nearly two years ago, my good friend Yesenia proposed the idea of starting a book club. I said I couldn’t possibly join; I was already in two other book clubs and struggling to keep up with my reading load as is. Four glasses of wine later (and much persuading from Yessie that this would be, by far, the most fun book club) I agreed, and so Boo(z)k(e) Club begin. Against all expectations, we are still going strong. In fact, since that day at Kate and Julie’s apartment, we’ve multiplied.
It was my turn to pick a book this month and to host Boo(z)k(e) club at our humble abode. I had just started The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which was amongst the annual (and much anticipated) Christmas shipment of books from my Grammy in Spain, and thought that the rest of the group would enjoy it as much as I was. I highly recommend reading this if you haven’t. I was particularly drawn to the history and debate surrounding medical ethics, but it’s also a fascinating history of the evolution of the science of cell culturing, as well as an excellent personal interest story.
Of course I was just as concerned with picking a good menu as I was about picking a good book. I decided to go with a simple salad, edamame guacamole with chips; apple, sausage and brie pizza on pumpkin pizza dough, and dark chocolate and red wine cookies for dessert.
Kate also brought over an amazing assortment of chocolates from a recent business meeting (yes you heard that right… the lucky girl works for the National Confectioners Association) and we went on a bit of a chocolate/wine bender.
I’m going to start with the dark chocolate and red wine cookies. I’m a big believer in having your dessert first, should you so desire, and this is Boo(z)k(e) Club after all. Stay tuned throughout the week for the rest of the recipes!
Dark Chocolate & Red Wine Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup red wine (Two Buck Chuck, of course)
- 1 bag (10 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt. and baking soda.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Next, add in the egg, vanilla, and red wine. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients until mixed well.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter onto a greased baking pan, leaving a few inches in between Cook for 8-10 minutes.